Old September 8th 03, 04:43 AM
Corrie

Default Wood questions - Public Lumber Company, determining species at the lumberyard

http://www.publiclumber.com/2x4sitkaspruce.html Anyone had any
dealings with them? They sell "aircraft/spar-grade" 2x4 spruce for
$4.50 / lin.ft. Their prices on marine ply are about what I can get
locally, but the price on spruce beats most I've seen. Of course,
it's only a good deal if the wood is actually high-quality. Or is the
wisest course of action to just suck it up and pay AS&S's prices for
your spars and longerons?

Some plans call for specific species in specific places. At the
lumberyard, how do you tell the difference between pine, spruce, and
fir in dimensional lumber? Are they marked somehow? Guidebooks
aren't very useful - by the time the trees get to where I can buy
them, the bark and needles are long gone. :-)

Corrie