Old October 9th 04, 06:06 PM
Ron Webb

I have a Lycoming io-360 modified to about 220 HP (high compression pistons,
Ellison throttle body, and electronic ignition on one side). I went looking
for a prop, and talked to someone at Ivo. This was several years ago (5
maybe) but I remember that they wouldn't even sell me one for a direct drive
4 cylinder.

The problem is that saying 220 HP does not tell the whole story. You have to
look at when and how often the torque pulses are generated. The average
torque may be the same, but if you have fewer but BIGGER pulses. A 4
cylinder direct drive has only 2 piston firings per revolution of the prop,
so they have to be BIG suckers to keep the average torque up. That's harder
on the prop. A geared V8 or rotary will give many smaller pulses, and so is
much easier on the prop blade mountings. That's one reason you don't see
many Lyc's with Ivo props.

I ended up with a Warp Drive, and I'm happy with it, but the blade mounting
arrangement is different, and much more secure.Look at how Ivo does it vs
Warp drive, and you'll understand.

Ron Webb

"canflyboy" wrote in message
news
Has anyone have anything to say, good or bad, about the Ivo Prop propeller
for the Lycoming engines? The adjustment feature is quite unique and
interesting, but I'd like to heard from users in the field for their

opinion

Thanks

Canflyboy