Old February 18th 04, 11:38 PM
Michael 182

"Rick Glasser" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:32:22 +0000, Michael 182 wrote:

What is the reasoning behind the required course reversal in many
approaches? It's hard to believe that I will be safer flying the

racetrack
and then the approach to the runway than simply flying to the IAF and
proceeding inbound - especially with GPS guidance. I have no problem

flying
the full published course, done it many times, I'm just curious why they

are
designed that way.

Michael

It is also to allow you to get "established" and stabilized on the inbound
course prior to the FAF, especially where the IAF and FAF are the same.
If you just turned inbound at the fix, precious distance would be wasted
while still getting established and technically you should not be
descending until established.

I know this is what is often written but I think this only argues for an
optional run around the racetrack, not a mandatory turn, or an instruction
on the approach that requires the course reversal if crossing the IAF above
XX altitude. Does that make sense?

Michael