Old August 4th 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Intercoms & FSDOs

On Aug 3, 4:50 pm, "RST Engineering" wrote:
Seems like some FSDO is always on a rampage...of COURSE an intercom is a
minor alteration. Several FAA publications are quite explicit on what is
major and what is minor, and a publication out of Ok City trumps the Houston
FSDO. Your FSDO folks have their panties in a wad and are way off base.

As a matter of fact, there is nothing in a part 91 aircraft that HAS to be
TSOd, including transponders, altitude encoders, and ELTs. Read the
requirements. They have to MEET the TSO spec, but they don't have to be
themselves TSOd.

Jim

--
"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right."
--Henry Ford

seems the Houston FSDO has been on a rampage against

mechanics installing non-TSO'ed intercoms in spamcans and calling it a
minor alteration.

Their reply about the TSO, "how can you prove that the device/
appliance meets the specification? Show me the data.".

They're making up their own rules where I am.

I've asked OKC regulation questions, but they bounce it back to me and
tell me to ask my local FSDO. How do you get a legitimate
interpretation on a regulation if you can't get past your local
office? Where's Bill O'Brien when you need him?

I'd love to get into it in a public forum, but I'm in the process of
fighting a battle with them which is obvious that they're clearly
wrong, but won't admit it.
And, the Internet has ears and I'm afraid of what they would put me
through if they found out I was bashing them.