Old March 15th 10, 01:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

Default Requesting ATC help to find Runway with ATC COMS - Video

On Mar 14, 3:16*pm, " wrote:

One of my greater fears of operating at a controlled airport came to
fruitation. *I wasn't able to positively identify the runway even with
using my DG

It's nice to hear another confess this fear and challenge. I trained
at all uncontrolled airports & was very concerned with being able to
line up on the proper runway if I went to an airport with more than
one. I would go to great efforts in pre-flight and in flight with an
airport map, making sure I knew where all the runways were before I
even contacted approach. I listened intently to the active in use on
ATIS before talking to tower or approach. Once or twice, though, I had
to ask for help nevertheless.
One time a few years ago, approaching Midland for the annual CAF
Airshow, I lined up for final at the wrong airport altogether! In
Midland there is a large airport on the northern side of town, easily
seen in the air. The proper airport, Midland International, was on the
south side. A minute or so after acknowleging my clearance to land,
ATC came back with a vector to Midland International saying; "no
worries, this happens several times a day." I was heading for the
wrong airport. It did not happen again when I repeated this flight the
following year!

Ricky