Old July 31st 17, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
150flivver

Default glider aerobatics

On Sunday, July 30, 2017 at 6:36:40 PM UTC-5, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
I was under the impression that the FAA considers anything over 60 degrees of bank or 30 degrees of pitch, (except for spins), as aerobatic . . .

Well, perhaps.
Research through FAR 91.303 for a FAA definition of aerobatic flight (you might be surprised)
and FAR 91.307 for the parachute requirements. Glance at FAR 91.13 as well.

I'm just offering a clarification of the occasionally misunderstood FAA definition of acrobatic flight.
(Makes a good oral question on a checkride.)

When I imported my new Schleicher ASK-21 I had it certificated (by the factory) as Acrobatic, mainly for resale when (and if) I retire from my commercial glider operation.

I cannot answer your primary question of aircraft certification as I do not speculate without research.

Thread drift: The advice found on r.a.s. that may begin with "I heard" / "I think / "I recall" / "Someone told me" / "My impression was" may be speculation or hearsay. Not double-checking the facts with qualified sources may mix truth and fiction into a possible hazardous conclusion.

So tell me why you bothered to have the ASK certificated Acrobatic if it were true that any maneuver "approved" in the POH would be legal regardless of what the Airworthiness Certificate says. I've read all the regulations you cited and nothing jumps out as an answer to my original question.