Old March 6th 16, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Seminole Lake Gliderport Future?

Hi,

I am interested in getting a glider rating at Seminole Lake. I drove up last week to see the place and fell in love. When searching on the internet, I came across post on here saying that the owner bought the place with stolen money and is now getting deported back to Europe. The article said he was facing life in prison! Wow!

I'm told that this is (or maybe was) the place to get a rating, but I'm hesitant to spend several thousands of dollars if the place is on the verge of collapse.

I also searched on google for "fugitive assets frozen" and it appears since this was such a high profile case that this airports assets will be frozen before too long and sold off to repay the money to whom the owner stole from.

I read on this forum from the management that they have a plan, but if they don't state the exact details of the plan to it doesn't sound like they actually have a plan.

Can anyone recommend another gliderport in Florida? Or is it worth driving up to Chilhowee Tennessee?

Thanks