Old January 25th 04, 11:16 PM
Zenin

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim Falkentyne wrote:
You're probably not going to find any high level stick with a twist.
The only sticks with a twist axis for rudders are usually 'mass
market' introductory sticks.

Have you tried using a slider or rotary knob as your rudder (if
available?)

The problem I'm having is that in the games (ok game, "Allegiance")
you'll be a pilot one moment and a turret gunner the next. The game
allows you to assign any stick axis to any game axis, however it does
not have a way to change the game axises used between flight and turret
gunning roles.

The game actually has yaw control assigned to the Y axis by default,
which in turret gunning mode makes sense and keeping the two modes
consistent is probably what they were looking to do. But because the
two modes are locked I can't assign the Y axis to roll in flight while
keeping it as the more logical "yaw" in gunning mode.

So it's more a problem with the software limitation then it is with the
hardware, but I can only change the hardware. :-P

Ok, what about a high end stick that would allow me to program it to
switch axis configurations with a press of a button? If I could simply
hit my "turret gunner" button and have the stick software switch the
axises without having to jump back to some external configuration app
that would probably work as well or better. -And it would allow me to
stop rolling my planes in flight sims when I really wanted yaw... :-)

-Zenin