Old July 15th 18, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

Default Which ClearNav vario display?

I have both displays. The square display is much more readable, and includes the thermal assistant which is very very good. The only thing you want the round display for is a needle. The only reason for a needle is a quick glance at thermal strength as you are entering a thermal -- you have set the needle to relative netto while in cruise mode, so it answers "if I stop in this thermal what will its strength be?" That's it. For that purpose, it's a quicker read than the ribbon on the left of the square display. The audio is all you need for centering, and you should be looking outside anyway. The big fat number on the top right of the square display is where you look for thermal average for the stay/leave decision.

There may be a way to put the current relative netto on the numerical display in cruise. (I have pure netto there, with a long time constant). They you really wouldn't need the needle at all. Beep beep,,.. says 4 knots, it's a 4 knot thermal. You know there is lift, the question is, is this strong enough to stop, and a number is the way to answer this. The number may be moving around too fast to read though.. worth a try.

I disagree with UH. I would not want to look at a mechanical flow based needle. You want to look at a needle of the same vario feeding you audio, you want to look at relative netto not TE vario, and you don't want to mix a flow based system and pressure transducer system on the same line. Chuck the mechanical all together. I used to have a borgelt B40 backup -- self powered electric and pressure transducer, with audio. It's a lot better backup than a mechanical. Rex sold me on the idea of two separate CN varios so the round unit is a backup. This may reflect Rex's amazing salesmanship more than a practical idea.

Bottom line, if you only have room for one, choose the square display.

John Cochrane BB