Old November 26th 20, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_2_]

Default New Battery Type?

On Thursday, 26 November 2020 at 12:30:06 UTC, Richard Large wrote:
At 04:38 26 November 2020, wrote:
El jueves, 26 de noviembre de 2020 a la(s) 00:27:24 UTC-3, AS
escribi=C3=B3=
:
Winter is coming and it is time to get the annual Battery / Battery

Charg=
er discussion going.=20
I ran across this ad for a new (to me) battery type. It is a Lithium

Nick=
el Manganese Cobalt Oxide (LiNiMnCoO2) chemistry and the Ah rating

the mfg
=
claims is phenomenal.=20
Has anybody seen or even used this type already?=20
=20

http://www.millenair.nl/shop/batteri...equipment/nmc-

batteries=
/airnergy-14.4v-20.5ah-nmc=20
=20
Uli=20
'AS'

Yes, i made 3 packs for a guy who owns a discus with a lot of avionics

and
=
no place for much batteries.
He is reselling one (in Argentina) because with two has enough power

fly=
24h transmitting with the radio.
The packs are made with the same cells that I have on the grasshopper

and
i=
n most of the electric propulsion projects with the exception of FES that
u=
ses KOKAM cells.
The only thing that you need to look up before installing is the
compatibil=
ity of your avionics with the output voltage.
And of course, taking good care of the packs.
We have been using an NMC 20AH battery in our Arcus for the last year

running LX9000 F and R plus a radio and so far our longest flight has
been 7 hours bat then 14V so looks like 8 Hours possible, our 12v
LiF3PO4 only gave us 3.5Hrs, take care as initial voltage is approx 16v

I'll stick with LFP batteries. Apart from the price there are considerable human and environmental costs of current cobalt production, most of which comes from the DRC. Its no surprise that e.g. Tesla are trying move on from cobalt in their batteries.