Old May 29th 18, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

Default Color Platforms for Top Hat/XCSoar

On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 10:02:13 AM UTC-7, Mike C wrote:
On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 8:01:06 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
Hi Mike,

If you're really in need, and want a Streak, I have two spares, loaded
with XCSoar, and I can fix you up.Â* I got the spares because I like them
so much but they've proven to be quite reliable.Â* See me at the airport
or shoot me a PM.

Dan

On 5/27/2018 7:52 PM, Mike C wrote:
On Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 3:31:38 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Im using a Sony xperia Z3, and it works very well in sunlight. Tried a friends Samsung Galaxy 7 that worked well too.

I have a Galaxy 5S with an AMOLED screen which is supposed to be great in direct sunlight, but it is not nearly as visible in direct sunlight as my sold Streak was. Are the LCD screens any better? Are the newer AMOLD screens better than the earlier generation AMOLD screens?

Thanks for any insight.

Mike

--
Dan, 5J

Thanks Dan.

Would rather have a more modern device with a pressure sensor, if I can find a screen as good as the Streak. There are reports of some being as good or better but the OLED screen (supposedly the best type) used on the Galaxy 5S is not nearly as good. The cheap Moto E phone from Republic Wireless has a better screen than the Galaxy 5S in direct sunlight, much to may surprise. Don't want to make a $500.00 mistake.

Mike

I owned an S5 for about three years,and I have TopHat installed on it. I rarely used it for flying as it is very poor at best in direct sunlight.
I been using a Kobo Glow with good success, although I still would like some color for roads, lakes and landables turning green, also audible airspace warnings, etc....
I compared the S5 to a friend's S6 and there is a very notable difference, I believe it is better than a Streak ( I flown with one of those too).
Just about a week ago I finally updated to a Galaxy S9+ and wow that is really something!
I can't say for sure if it is much better than the S6 but maybe the size and the back lighting makes a difference.
Now if I could just find a reliable source for a commercially available IOIO device to work with the flight computer, it would be a no brainer.
I have tried Bluetooth connections with the Streak and I was not too impressed, but than maybe it's just me......