Old December 21st 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kevin Clarke

Default WAAS upgrade info for Garmin 430

Is there any value to WAAS yet, beyond the "Gee Whiz" factor? Can I do
precision approaches with it yet?

KC

Paul kgyy wrote:
I called the shop today that installed my Garmin 430 and asked about
WAAS. They offered 2 approaches.
1. Get the upgrade. Cost is $1500 + $95 freight (!) + $100 to install
a different antenna. Terrain is an additional $500. Availability is
uncertain.

2. Replace the entire unit (2 years old). Antenna replacement is
still required, but terrain is only $250 extra on the new units - total
cost about $2200. New units are available now.

Living in the midwest, I'm ambivalent about the value of the terrain
info. That apparently resides on the second data card, so I assume
it's another annual fee to Jeppesen.