Old November 5th 03, 04:16 AM
Chris Nicholas

Several other methods of launching which might be mentioned - shoulder
launching (like chucking a big model - Ann Welch described being so
launched in one of her books, IIRC) and foot launching, as I believe
some ultralight gliders can/have been. Both rather rare, however, and
unlikely to be seen in the UK. Self launching and reverse pulley (see
other threads) are also used. Even forward pulley (the one time I saw
it tried in the UK it was hilarious, but not to be repeated. An
American user recently mentioned it, however, so I presume it is a
current method. The pulley is mounted on a truck, the cable is anchored
to the ground at one end and goes round the pulley to the glider. The
glider take-off speed is double that of the truck at that point.)

Other soaring methods are Dynamic (using wind shear - only practised by
Ingo Renner AFAIK - now watch this space for corrections!) and sea
breeze - which some might say is thermalling, but others may consider to
be a different source of lift and in some cases a different technique.

Good luck with your web site, and your progress.

Chris N.