Old April 18th 05, 10:23 PM
Peter Duniho

"John Galban" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]
Probably not. The FAA has long held that aerial photography (i.e.
snapping photos and selling them) is not a commercial pilot activity.

Keep in mind that the compensation rules are primarily designed to
discourage private pilots from flying passengers for hire.

"Primarily", perhaps. Hard to say without talking to the person who
designed them (which I haven't, but he did publish a FAQ ).

However, there are plenty of examples of "for hire" operations that don't
involve passengers, and which are prohibited. Crop dusting, banner towing,
etc. Obviously the "design" of the compensation rules incorporates those
concerns as well. Whether they are all only secondary or not, I don't know.

That said, it's my recollection that you're correct about aerial
photography. I haven't been able to find a reference, and I believe that
the allowance applies only to pilots who are doing the photography
themselves. A pilot carrying a passenger who is doing the photography would
require a commercial certificate (but the operation would otherwise still be
allowed under Part 91, at least).

I would love to see the references that describe all this. The Part 61 FAQ
implies it, but doesn't state so directly.

Pete