Old September 18th 05, 05:51 PM

tscottme wrote:
"Wizard of Draws" wrote in message
news:BF524628.32285%jeffbREMOVE@REMOVEwizardofdraw s.com...

September 17, 2004 1:00 1.3 hrs. (.2 actual)

I'm glad everything worked out so well. Nothing I write is suggesting you
made any sort of error. But I participated in a research study some years
ago that firmly cemented in my mind that one common idea many pilots have is
exactly wrong. Have no fear of declaring an emergency.

Have zero hesitation to declare an emergency to ATC. You don't get mired in
paperwork if your situation is less than a genuine emergency. You don't get
a visit from the Feds who will interogate you for any pretext to yank your
license. In short, declaring an emergency gives you and ATC more room to
get a good outcome. The only likely outcome of declaring an emergency which
ends in a happy outcome is that ATC may request you call them after landing
so they will know things worked out OK. Your info won't be forwarded to OKC
for some official investigation into your competence unless you end up
bending or breaking something important.

You aren't required to land at an undesirable location just because you
declared an emergency. You aren't required to rat on yourself to the Feds
or your insurance company. Making the declaration may keep a worried pilot
from having to answer about not dotting some I or crossing some T. "If in
doubt, shout it out."

You should always telephone the facility after on the ground to
determine with certainty whether they want a report per 91.123d