Old November 22nd 03, 07:16 AM
Jeff

I know a guy with a comanche 260, really nice plane, fast, good useful load.
his will do 160 kts.
Heck my 200 HP Turbo Arrow III typically does 150-155 kts.

Jeff
http://www.turboarrow3.com

Stu Gotts wrote:

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 17:23:27 -0600, "O. Sami Saydjari"
wrote:

I am looking at buying one of two planes: a 1978 Mooney M20J or a 1965
Piper Commanche PA-24-260. I have test driven both and I like the
handling of both. Both are about the same price. The avionics in the
Mooney are slightly better. This is a tough choice.

(1) Is there anyone out there that has flown both airplanes extensively
and can give me pros and cons of each from their perspective?

(2) Is there any other plane with similar price/performance capabilities
(cruise at better than 160nts, 750+ range) in the same price range
($75K-$100K) that I should consider?

(3) I heard Mooney is teetering on bankruptcy. Is this a real big
downside? Has anyone experienced owning a plane with a manufacturer
went bankrupt. Do parts become impossible to find?

-Sami

1. Bonanza - there is no substitute.

2. Those speeds are vaporware, you'll never see them from either
machine.

3. Mooney seems to be emerging from their financial troubles, and
believe it or not, may own Beechcraft soon. Comanche parts are
becoming a bit difficult to find and added to the fact that the
aircraft is no being produced worries me. Also, a good Comanche
mechanic is a must if you want to keep the aircraft in the air. Good
luck.