Old December 8th 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Glue it to it

Morgans wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't epoxy for homebuilders considered much more
"user friendly" than Resorcinol, because Resorcinol is very particular about
having uniform, tight fitting joints, and the correct clamping pressure?

Only among folks trying to sell you epoxy :-)

Epoxy is known to trigger an allergic reaction in some people, making
its 'user-friendliness' more hype than reality.

The same applies to the 'tight fitting joints.' The need is valid for
marquetry or cabinet-making but is fallacious when applied to aircraft
structures. The load-bearing capacity of the glued joint is a function
of its surface-area. In aircraft we use gussets and corner blocks to
achieve the required surface-area and such joints are typically
flat-to-flat, which are inherently 'tight-fitting.'

The point about clamping pressure is valid. Fortunately, most joints
in aircraft structures make it fairly easy to apply the required amount
of pressure. And when they don't, we have the option of using epoxy.

Much of the controversy over adhesives stems from the fact they are
materials as well as tools. Since all modern adhesives used in the
construction of wooden airplanes are stronger than the wood itself, the
factor of strength -- the 'materials' aspect -- drops out of the
equation. When that happens you will see that for the builder on a
budget the use of less expensive, locally available adhesives simply
reflects using the most appropriate tool for the job.

-R.S.Hoover