Old July 7th 03, 07:06 PM
Roger Halstead

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 06:36:47 -0700, Jim Weir wrote:

Because there are those of us who see clipping a handheld to a window with a
rubber duckie is not the way we want to do things. Why buy a $300 headset and
an audio panel to get the best possible audio into your aircraft transceiver if
you aren't willing to do the same thing for your ham rig?

Lord, no! :-)) I guess you'll have to define "best possible audio"
Jim. I want "communications" quality where the band width is tailored
to the best for getting information across on both the aircraft and
ham rigs. Now and example of what I don't want is something that
sounds like one of those expensive Heil mikes used for contesting.

The lapel mike has excellent quality along with noise canceling and
works great which was a real surprise when I compare it to the prices
some of the guys spend on mikes. No, the earpiece doesn't sound like
hi-fi, but then again, I can't hear anything above 8K anyway. In the
airplane I'm lucky to hear anything above 4K with the extra noise.
The ANRs do help out there. I can hear the higher frequency sounds
much better while wearing them.

To top it off there is no discernable aircraft sound picked up by the
mike.

It's the little Kenwood combo. I tried the speaker mikes from Yaesu,
Icom, and Kenwood, but never found one I liked, or that had half way
decent sound.

Probably the best sounding one was the Icom compact headset with the
boom mike, but then I had to remember to turn off the VOX. I called
approach on 146.52 more than once using that setup. What I didn't
like was the little head band that went over the top. It really
wasn't long enough and even with the big Telex head set on the little
one felt like it was falling off. It never did, but it always felt
that way.

So far I've found the little Kenwood to be easy to use/convenient,
comfortable, and sound good, which gives me little incentive to try
and wire it in.

Now, when I get the G-III together it'll have either a duoband VHF/UHF
FM rig, or a VHF/UHF all mode rig in the panel and that will be wired
in through the audio panel.

Actually, I'd like to put that little Yaesu 100 watt HF/VHF/UHF all
mode rig in the G-III...but haven't figured out how to make a trailing
wire work in a plastic airplane. I'd also have to wire in an auto
retrieve to prevent aerobatics and landing with the thing extended, or
I'd probably use it as an arresting hook over the power lines just
short of the field.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

It really ain't rocket science, and besides, somewhere I read that "fostering
advancement of the state of the radio art" had a place in Part 97.

Jim

-
-They are inexpensive so why bother messing around with a good head set
-when you don't have to.
-
-Roger Halstead (K8RI EN73 & ARRL Life Member)

http://www.rst-engr.com