Old July 10th 03, 01:51 PM
John Clonts

Default Alamogordo IFR Questions

I am planning a flight from Burnet, TX (KBMQ) to Alamogordo, NM (KALM).
Here is an approach plate
http://www.myairplane.com/databases/...st/ALM_nr3.pdf and
departure procedure
http://www.myairplane.com/databases/...ONA%20ONE%20DE
P.pdf

1) The approach says "radar required". Yet Holliman Approach is part time.
The AF/D refers then to Albuquerque Center approach/departure control. So
if Holliman approach is closed, is Albuqurque center able to provide the
same radar services (for purposes of the "radar required", and other things
like vector-to-final)?

2) The departure procedure would take me 100 nm almost due north, but my
desired direction is roughly east (oroca 12000). How might I avoid that
detour? I think the answer is to expect to fly the procedure but once high
enough request direct to some point eastbound. Or, could I request (e.g.)
to climb in a hold over BWS VOR to 12K, then head east?

Thanks!
John Clonts
Temple, Texas