Old July 31st 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

Default Solar Aircraft

No, because I know nothing about them and they are just trying to do
something that hasn't been done. I don't see where the return will be on
their investment. And if a useable technology doesn't come out of it is just
another stunt.

I am curious though why you think it is such a sure thing. Are you involved
with them in some way?

If you support them so much invest. But keep in mind that they have some
huge hurdles to overcome.

From their FAQ...

What area still limits the plane's performance?
It is above all, the energetic density of the batteries. Their stocking
capacity is still limited and their influence has a great bearing on the
total mass of the airplane. By doubling their storage capacity, it would be
possible to allow a second person on board and therefore carry out longer
flights.

Doubling the storage capacity of the battery capacity is no small feat.
Folks with a lot more money than them have been trying to do that for years.

oilsardine wrote:
they will do it. wanna bet?

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...
oilsardine wrote:
this is cool http://www.solarimpulse.com/

Cool idea but I give little credence to any of this stuff until a
flying prototype is built. There are just too many hucksters out
there that know how use computer graphics and build a web site.