Old September 22nd 12, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

Default Best performing Vario?

On Sep 22, 3:35*pm, wrote:
On Saturday, September 22, 2012 8:58:15 AM UTC-7, Craig R. wrote:
In your opinion, what was the best performing vario you have ever used? Specifically, the one that got you centered in and to the top of the thermal in the least amount of time. Let's ignore products because they have the latest "bells and whistles" add ons, latest technology, sexy appearances, or best computer processor. Basic performance is the only criteria. I've heard some say the legacy Cambridge units and some say the Sage mechanical. Which unit did it for you?

ClearNav CNv hands down. Work in progress but better than the 302 right now. Low on flashy displays big on the useful bits.

John Seaborn A8

I second the opinion. Fast, smooth, accurate. And the 302 I found to
be slightly better than the (very good) SN10. Legacy cambridge (s nav,
m nav, l nav) were nowhere near as good. Those are from the 1980s and
were great in their time, but that was a while ago.

No mechanical vario should be on this list no matter how good. You
need to look out the window not stare at a vario.

John Cochrane