Old July 2nd 04, 06:31 AM
Dweezil Dwarftosser

WalterM140 wrote:

Is it true that you volunteered for, and served with, the US Marines in the
Gulf?

Yes. And I narrowly missed going to Viet Nam too. The way that went
down is that the bulk of my Infantry Training School class made up the
bulk of the battalion that did the evacuation of Saigon in 1975.
Twenty-three of us got follow on orders to Sea School Atlantic, so I
was in Spain when the end came in Viet Nam.

Heheh. I was in a Wing QC outfit for a while at Ramstein.
We had some squirrel captain for an OIC (non-rated, to boot;
clearly, they had to find a job for this guy, where he
couldn't get in much trouble, and we were stuck with him).

I think it was 1983, when AFN radio gave the news of our
invasion of Granada. We listened carefully. As the broadcast
ended, Capt. Fuzz [1] blurted out: "DAMN! I would give
anything to have been there!" About a dozen gray-haired
MSgts and TSgts (all Vietnam War vets, most with multiple
tours) responded - unrehearsed and almost in unison -
"Great Sir! You can take my place, next time!"

[1] Name changed to protect the foolish...