Old May 13th 18, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Recommendations for cataract surgery lenses for flying

Hi Peter - just responded to Tom above. The lenses I have are EDOF (extended depth of focus) Symfony IOLs. Many lump these into multifocal lenses group. Regardless of EDOF or multifocal the trade off is not clarity for distance (unless the power is off or there is astigmatism present). Trade off is the night vision. I would think pilots who fly at night would not want that compromise and those who fly commercially I have read are not permitted to select anything but a multifocal lens. with the Symfony lenses I have excellent vision during the day but starting at dusk I see concentric circles around certain light sources. At the beginning it was hard to drive at night. I have adapted but still don’t choose to drive long distances in unfamiliar areas at night.