Old February 11th 04, 03:52 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Peter Kemp" wrote in message

snip

Using the relatively old and scarce experienced pilots as Squadron
commanders and instructors, begin to recruit at a sufficicent rate
that within a decade you'll have a dozen regiments of fast jet pilots.

As the new entrants get trained in basic combat techniques buy more
advanced jets of the Typhoon/Rafale/J-10 class to provide a real
capability, adding tankers and AWACS into the mix.

I dont think the problem is the aircraft so much as the training
and recruitment system. I suspect the first thing thats required
is to cut back the establishment to realistic levels and then pay
a salary that attractive to bright young Russian graduates.

I'd agree that using the veteran pilot as instructors and
commanders makes sense but unless you can offer
a career structure thats attractive you wont get the
number of aircrew you need.

This is a problem that cuts across the entire Russian armed
forces, they seem reluctant to embrace the idea that
400,000 well trained , equipped and motivated
professionals will be much more effective than 2 million
conscripts with clapped out weapons.

Of course that would leave a lot of redundant Admirals
and Generals not to mention boosting the youth
unemployment rate.

Keith