Old October 30th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Default Fire Spotting.

Newps wrote:
We take a lot of calls every fire season in the Tower regarding fires.
Giving us a radial/DME from any VOR is best. Use GPS to get that info
if you have to. Precise accuracy is not necessary, plus or minus five
miles is fine. We pass the info on to the local fire dispatch center
and they take it from there.

I report fires every year during backcountry flying season. Generally, I
call up whichever Center has control of the local airspace. When giving
reports to ATC, Newps is spot on. Radial and distance is the preferred
method. When I first got a GPS, I thought they would appreciate the
increased accuracy, but after giving the lat/long coordinates, I was always
asked for a radial and distance :-) Of course, when your talking about a
column of smoke pouring out of a forest, pinpoint accuracy isn't really much
of a benefit.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)