Old June 23rd 05, 03:48 PM

"Peter R." wrote:

Tim wrote:

snip
The system is being used by a very small part of general aviation.

Are you saying that WAAS is only used by the aviation community? What
about those who use WAAS-enabled handheld GPS units for boating,
driving, and hiking/backpacking?

Oh, and don't forget the geo-cachers. ;-)

--
Peter

That's what I am saying. All those other applications are ad hoc, and not
part of any government criteria for navigation. The improvements in
accuracy with WAAS in any Garmin hand-held I have used is not even worth
the processor overhead.

I had it in a Garmin 295 for several years and kept it turned off because
it dragged down the screen refresh rates significantly. I now have a 296,
where it does not have that issue, but it still increases processor
overhead for no real gain. I choose to leave it disabled and thus get a
nice, clean 3D solution.