Old September 14th 05, 12:05 AM
Wayne Paul

"Mike the Strike" wrote in message
oups.com...

I know of at least one non-ham who carries a 2-meter radio for
emergency use also.

Are you encouraging non-licensed use of ham repeaters? Don't most
repeaters today require a specific sub-audio tone to key the repeater? Isn't
the reason for the tones to eliminate unlicensed operators? I have an old
Heath Kit hand held 2 meter unit that is almost useless because it doesn't
have sub-audio capabilities. I took my old hand held to Mackay, Idaho this
summer and realized that it couldn't key any relevant repeaters.

If you are going to the emergency FCC exception clause, wouldn't it get a
more rapid response if you used the law enforcement repeaters. This would
remove the "middle man" from the process.

In the US, most of the barriers to get a Amateur Radio license have been
removed. Go to Radio Shack get a current license guide read it and take the
test for the "no-code" license class. Any glider pilot should be able to
pass the test with one weekend worth of study.

Wayne
W7ADK - a Ham for the past 50 years