Old September 12th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Moore

Default Rotation

Mxsmanic wrote

Bob Moore writes:
Except in an airplane where the trim system moves the horizontal
stabilizer instead of a trim tab. In that case, there is no feel
feedback to the yoke. One must release the pressure and see if the
airplane attitude remains where desired.

Is that common?

In jetliners...Yes

I note that there are slots in front of the stabilizers on a 737,
implying that they pivot (for trim?). Is that in fact what they are
doing? It's hard to see on the sim.

Yes

And, so far, no one has mentioned that in a jetliner, the main landing
gear wheels are located far behind the aerodynamic center of rotation
when the a/c is rotated for takeoff. If the a/c is trimmed for a low-
force rotation, it will be out of trim for the initial climb.

The initial trim setting for a jetliner must be computed for each
takeoff based on the amount of load and its distribution. As I recall,
the takeoff trim setting was for the V2+10 initial climb speed.

Bob Moore
ATP B-707 B-727
PanAm (retired)