Old June 16th 04, 07:55 PM
Marc Reeve

T3 wrote:
"Guy Alcala" wrote in message
. ..
Jeroen Wenting wrote:

the gun isn't used much, there isn't much point to wasting the
space/weight,
is there?

The same sort of reasoning was applied to the lifeboats on the
Titanic......

which weren't much use as most people didn't get to them in time

anyway...

Which was a failure of organisation, not of the boats themselves.
Except for the last couple of collapsible lifeboats all of Titanic's
boats were successfully launched in sufficient time, but owing to poor
regulations and the lack of any lifeboat drill many were only partly
full. IIRR they held something like 700 of the 1,100 or so they could
have.

Guy

I little off topic but according to the History channel I watched last
night. The Captain ordered almost half the life boats removed the day of
sailing as " they looked appalling and were not needed", man, he knew what
he was talking about, huh?

Not true. It is true that the davits were designed by Welin to carry two
lifeboats each, but the White Star Line decided long before the maiden
voyage of the Titanic that they didn't need that many. I believe the
Olympic may have made its maiden voyage with a full load of lifeboats,
but the second rank was removed after passengers in the Promenade Deck
cabins (the luxury suites) complained that they spoiled the view.

--
Marc Reeve
actual email address after removal of 4s & spaces is