View Single Post
Old June 2nd 18, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

Default ADSB out in tow planes

On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 11:15:50 AM UTC-7, Charles Longley wrote:
I was actually talking about using ForeFlight for navigation on an aero retrieve. Not to find the glider. Generally we only do aero retrieves to airports. If a glider lands in a farmers field they generally have to go get it with their trailer. So my question is what app can I display FLARM on in an iPad? I picture using the FLARM display app for towing and Foreflight for navigation.

I’ll get the one tow plane we have ADSB out in registered on the FLARM net.

This is probably the wrong way to think about providing traffic data/warnings from FLARM in a towplane. You want a dedicated FLARM traffic display mounted high up on the panel (or just a PowerFLARM portable) in the towplane and audio wired though your radio/audio panel. Tow pilots are not going to want to fart around with complicated soaring software on an iPad just to see traffic.

And again FLARMnet is not likely to help the glider on tow getting false alerts from towplanes ADS-B Out.

If you want to use a iPad with Foreflight in the towplane for other purposes, for all the reasons I mentioned before, and more, I would get a portable Stratus or Stratux receiver.