Old August 2nd 03, 05:28 PM
David Reinhart

You can most certainly hear other aircraft. You can hear just about
everything. My first glider ride was at El Mirage, CA. From 10,000 feet
up I could hear the air horn on a Santa Fe locomotive. I actually heard
two F-105 Weary Weasels heading back to George AFB. It's a whole
different world in a glider.

Dave Reinhart

Gene Seibel wrote:

A question - Can glider pilots hear powered aircraft in the area, or
does the slipstream mask the sound?
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 -

"Stefan" "stefan"@mus. INVALID .ch wrote in message
Frode Berg wrote:

What are good ways to avoid the gliders?
Do they have some sort of good/excellent lookout techniques, or

are they
just flying around having a good time?

Of course we are having a good time flying around, after all, that's

the
whole point of soaring!

More to the point: Second, no, glider pilots don't have a special
lookout technique, other than being paranoid and knowing how poorly
visible we are. I'm pretty sure the glider you passed has seen you

long
before. (Of course you shouldn't bet your life at it. Besides,

gliders
have the right of way.) The only thechnique that works is look,

look,
look. Glider pilot students learn very early to forget about cockpit
instruments, to fly by horizon and butt and to permanently look out,
look out, look out. That's the whole trick.

But first and most important: Try to avoid regions where dense

glider
traffic is to be expected. Flying through southeastern Germany at

FL55
when there is some thermal activity is a very bad idea. This is one

of
the most densly populated areas, gliderwise, and FL55 is more or

less
the most active altitude band. Your best bet is to climb into

airspace
C, but you don't always want to do so. Try to think like a glider

pilot.
Try to know the most popular glider areas and avoid them. Try to
recognize thermals. Be aware that if you see a glider, the

probability
is high that there are others in the vicinity you don't see, one

glider
seldom flies alone. If you see a glider gaggle, make a big tour

around
it. There are always more gliders in the air than you will see.

Stefan