Old January 25th 04, 05:00 PM
Margy Natalie

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote:

Judah wrote:

That's what happens when teachers make minimum wage, and celebrities make
$100,000 an episode...

Well, teachers haven't made that little in a LLLOOONNNGGG time! Around here, the
going rate is around 50K for substitutes and over 70K to start for regulars. By
comparison, starting pay for a software developer with an MS is about 50K.

According to salary.com the median pay for a teacher in New Brunswick, NJ is $51,
927 with the 25th percentile salary at $41,143. I think this is probably much
closer to reality. NO schools start at 70K and many top out below that. Somerset
High School is about $2,000 lower and NYC about $2,000 higher. Substitutes in
Fairfax County, VA get $10 an hour. Subs are almost always hired by the hour with
no benefits. A starting teacher in Fairfax County gets $35,813 and 7% of that comes
off the top to pay for pension (yes, we pay our own). Fairfax is considered a "good
paying" district in a very expensive area. 40 miles west of here the pay drops
almost $10,000 a year. http://www.fcps.edu/DHR/salary/scalepdfs/04tchr195.pdf
shows more realistic teacher salaries.
Margy

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."