Old December 31st 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Preheating engines: Airplane engines versus auto engines

On Dec 31, 5:51 am, " wrote:
On Dec 30, 7:43 pm, M wrote:

On Dec 30, 5:27 pm, " wrote:

Deal,,,, Come on out to Jackson Hole Wy and I will demonstrate an auto
engine that will prove both of your questions wrong.

No need for that. You should simply post your performance data right
here.

No need for that, I sell only to the "experimental" plane market. Your
are stuck with the "certified" 60 year old technology. I will say I
don't think the IO-550 weighs 437 lbs complete with prop. Maybe 600+
lbs... :(. Liquid cooled engines can and will get better BSCF numbers
then aircooled ones, it is a fact of life............

Yup, because fuel isn't wasted trying to keep the engine cool
at high power settings like at takeoff and climb. But it improves too
with the variable ignition timing found on auto engines, and
frequently they have higher compression, giving more bang per buck
without worrying about the detonation common in aircooled big-cylinder
engines. And they have sensible, efficient intake systems instead of
tight elbows or pipes clamped together with rubber tubes.

Dan