Old October 28th 03, 01:41 PM
nafod40

David O wrote:
Dave Hyde wrote:

The clip you posted didn't say, and I haven't
gotten this weeks issue yet, but I presume this
is also unrefueled?

Dave 'vectors to the tanker!' Hyde

Actually, Dave, the clip I posted was the entire article. To me,
though, 18,000 lb of fuel kinda screamed "unrefueled" anyway.

A friend of mine logged a .3 while flying an F-111 at 300 feet and Mach
..95 (ingress) and Mach 1.3 (egress) in a Maple Flag exercise in Canada.
They burned 20,000+ lbs of go juice. I guess 18,000 lbs screamed "low
fuel light" to them. : )

If the GlobalFlyer performs nominally it will likely be a much easier
trip for Fossett or Branson than it was for Dick and Jeana. In my
opinion, it will therefore be less of an achievement but still quite
interesting technically. The GlobalFlyer will fly above most weather
at 45,000 ft.

I've had an interest in dynamic soaring, where you can extract energy
from the boundary of two different air streams (it's how an albatross
stays airborne just above the ocean). The ultimate would be to soar the
boundary of the jet stream, unpowered. Probably not doable, but never
say never. you might be able to extend the range at least this way.

Google "dynamic soaring" for more info.