Old January 8th 19, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default How to Make a Poor Man's Spar Alignment Tool

I've got one of the Z5 eccentric tools, and its a great help. But it can only be inserted when the wings are within about ΒΌ" from closure. It would be even better if more eccentricity was present, to allow the tool to be inserted with the wings further from closure. I think the strength of the plastic tool could be maintained by putting a steel rod down the center.

Depending on the major diameter of the pin, I try to make the smaller eccentric stub as small as I reasonably can without compromising strength. Generally, a pin of 32-36 mm has a stub of around 22 mm, for about 10-14 mm advantage. I have made some pins with a smaller diameter stub, and incorporated a stainless steel reinforcing pin through the center of the stub into the main body. Naturally, this option will cost more. I also have the capability to mill a 1/2 inch square socket in the end for a 1/2 inch drive ratchet in case the handle holes (at 45 degree spacing) aren't sufficient for handle clearance inside the fuselage.