Old January 13th 19, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Mylar Not Sticking

On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 2:24:10 AM UTC-5, Gary Wayland wrote:
On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 12:56:48 AM UTC-5, bumper wrote:
On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 4:11:35 PM UTC-8, wrote:

Determine which side the transfer tape released from an you will know which side was not prepped right.

What UH said is important. If the double sided tape failed on the Mylar side, you can improve the bond to the double sided tape by roughing the surface of the Mylar. Use masking tape to protect the half that is not to be bonded and then give the surface some tooth with abrasive paper.

It's important to press the Mylar down firmly onto the adhesive. A ball bearing mounted in a notched wood handle makes a good roller. After rolling down, position control surface so it's not trying to lift Mylar. Full strength is gained over about a day with most tapes.

bumper

Thanks, bumper, I'm heading to the hangar today and pull the glider from the box. I will take a better look at what the issue is. So a ball bearing works as a good tool for this? It sounds like your getting pressure in a very small area to help seal it.

When I first flew it after the resurface, I heard some chattering outside.. Ok what's coming loose! And you can't blame high-speed pass since I hadn't done one yet! The new air duct that was put in made the sound more intimidating. The 27 sounds completely different from the air scoop behind your head. Ok, I'm ranting... See ya... Thanks again... Gary

Gary

I rub down seal as follows:
1) After seating seal in correct position, rub down with finger(thumb)pressure so it will stay put.
2) My rub down tool is made from a piece of wood 5/8 thick, 1-1/4 wide, and 9 inches long. It has a 1/4 inch radius sanded on the corner so contact angle is not critical. The length is so 2 hands can hold the tool. One controls the alignment, and one applies the pressure. It's hard to do this well one handed from my experience.
Good contact is visible through the seal as the color changes from cloudy to clear.
UH