Old October 31st 03, 02:43 PM
Dave Holford

Phil Budne wrote:

In article ,
Mary Shafer wrote:
First heavier-than-air, powered, controlled, maneuvering flight in
which the vehicle landed at an altitude approximately that at which it
took off, actually.

Each time I see the list of qualifiers on the Wright Brothers flight,
I want to find the list of previous "flights"

Did someone make a heavier-than-air, powered, uncontrolled level flight?
A heavier-than-air, powered, controlled, non-maneuvering level flight?
A heavier-than-air, powered, controlled, maneuvering, downhill flight?

Can any reccomend a good web page or book?

just curious

Google search "John Stringfellow"
Powered heavier-than-air model in 1848, but didn't have the 'control'
requirement figured out. Worked OK in a controlled indoor environment
but he failed to appreciate the need for a vertical stabilizer.

Dave