Old January 4th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.military

Default TACAN

Keith W wrote:
"Stubby" wrote in message
. ..

Bob Moore wrote:

"M. J. Powell" wrote

Except ICs instead of valves?

It wasn't the size of the electronics, but rather the
large antenna array required of the VOR system. A VOR
antenna must be permanently aligned to the earth,
something not possible with such a large array onboard
a ship. The TACAN system operating on a different principle than VOR
solved the size and alignment problems.

Bob Moore

Can you either explain how a TACAN works or provide a reference? Thanks.

There's a nice writeup at

http://www.radarpages.co.uk/mob/nava...can/tacan1.htm

Keith

That's a fine reference. I saved a bookmark there. It looks as if the
UK TACAN is the same as the USAF TACAN, but I'm still not clear as to
the differences from a VOR. Maybe it's just the frequencies. Or, I
believe all TACANs are supposed to have DME built in.