Old February 12th 07, 10:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.ifr
Eugene Griessel

Default Berlin Airlift, IFR

Thomas Borchert wrote:

John,

This was the
Cold War, the planes were based in England and more eastern locations:
Holland, Fance, West Germany...

England? First I hear about that. West Germany is were they came from,
it was a really short run for most. Flying boats took off in Hamburg
harbour, landing on the Wannsee.

AFAIK the main routes in use originated from Lubeck, Fuhlsbuttel,
Fassberg, Celle, Wunstorf, Wiesbaden, Frankfurt and Rheinmain - and
the Flying boats that you mention. Various electronic Rebecca-Eureka
beacons were erected to "outline"(?) the three main air passages and
the runways equipped with radar for foul weather assistance. Gee was
extensively used and BABS at the Berlin runways. Pilots, at least from
the British sector, had to have the "green card" which certified
competency in blind landing techniques.

Those pilots were often damned good - especially at "seat of the
pants" foul weather flying! I remember flying into an airbase in a
C47 with a Berlin airlift veteran at the controls in fog so thick you
could barely see the nose of the aircraft. Once on the ground they
had to send a jeep with a flare to guide him to the apron!

Eugene L Griessel

Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.