Old October 3rd 05, 12:53 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"rps" wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm still confused. Assuming the following facts, how would you fly
the ILS RWY 28R at KSFO
(http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0510/00375I28R.PDF), which has a holding
pattern depicted in lieu of PT, and no indication that radar is
required?

Assumptions:
1) Upon departure, you were cleared to SFO, as filed;
2) your filed route takes you through the MENLO IAF (I don't know if
there's an airway through MENLO, but assume you got there for the sake
of argument);

MENLO is on the BIG SUR TWO arrival.

3) you lost radio contact before your arrival at MENLO; and
4) you arrive at MENLO at 4000 feet and at your filed ETA.

Here's how I'd fly the procedure - will I be in violation of any FARs,
even given the interpretation of the AIM change that is proposed here?
1) Cross MENLO at 4000, descend to 3200 and continue to CEPIN;
2) As I approach CEPIN and as the localizer comes alive and starts
moving toward center, begin turning left to intercept localizer - note
that I will initially have almost a 50 degree intercept - and begin
descent to 1800 feet; and
3) at AXMUL, intercept glideslope and continue descent.

Why would I turn right at CEPIN or even at MENLO to spend some time in
the hold at DUMBA, except perhaps if I arrived prior to my filed ETA?

I wouldn't turn right at CEPIN even if I was ahead of my filed ETA. There's
no way to turn at MENLO, the procedure goes only to CEPIN from MENLO.