Old November 23rd 04, 02:14 PM
Matt Whiting

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 19:07:20 -0500, Matt Whiting
wrote:

Not at all. I just don't understand cowards. Never have and probably
never will. I guess though that if I was weak in my convictions and had
low self-esteem, I'd hide as well.

Matt

Now here we actually get into a perfect microcosm of religion.

Your belief system says that everyone who posts here should post under
his real name (or a name that LOOKS like a real name,at least, since I
am sure you have not verified that every name used here is actually a
given name of the poster)..

My belief system, on the other hand, says that it don't make a whit's
difference what the poster's name is, but the idea expressed is what
is important, agree with it or not.

The difference between my belief system and yours is this:

I couldn't care less what name you use. Use Matt Whiting or
Whistlindixie, it don't make a whit's difference to me. Your
preference and beliefs are yours, do what you will. It's no skin off
my nose.

Your belief about posting, however, requires that I behave as you do
and think the way you do, otherwise you are compelled to attempt to
intimidate and insult me by calling me a coward, weak in my
convictions, and having low self esteem, even though you know nothing
of me other than what you know through half a dozen postings.

And that gets to the nub of religion. The religious are usually so
unsure of their positions, and unable to offer any evidence of their
convictions, that they must have the agreement of others to validate
their beliefs. If they cannot get it any other way, they begin to use
whatever force they can use to compel others to behave as they do.
And suddenly they are on that slippery slope of religious bigotry and
intolerance, exactly the same kind of bigotry and intolerance you are
showing for my free choice of using whatever name I wish to post with,
by using name-calling and insults, the only real forms of intimidation
available to you here, to validate your belief.

So thanks for the help in proving my point.

Likewise.

Matt