Old August 27th 09, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
echristl

Default Book suggestions; Practical Welding

On Aug 24, 5:39*pm, "Phil" wrote:
WHOOSH .... is bad , I have been in the EAA for about 1000 years , used to
work for A/C manufacturing as certified welder , have had to do repairs on
covered planes , we just cut the cover away for 10 or 12 inches in every
direction and taped it fast , got some wet rags and packed every inch of
fabric with wet cloth , you really have to be aware of your torch and treat
it like a loaded gun , welding near fabric is not a solo job either, you
must have a extra man with an extinguisher and also a water hose under
pressure , it can and is done often , the newer TIG process does confine the
heat to a smaller area and less apt to have a disaster , good luck ..Phil L."Michael Horowitz" wrote in message

Also, aluminum foil is your friend. Put it over the wet rags. It is
cheap and effective for containing the "Oops! I pointed the flame the
wrong way for a second."