Old August 6th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dan Luke

Default OLV GPS 36 approach question

"A Lieberma" wrote:

I can see where the controller got the 2100 figure which was the final
approach fix step down altitude

I'll bet it was the local MVA. Controllers do not usually have much
information handy about outlying airports' approaches.

Was I correct in maintaining 2800 before the IAF or is the controller
allowed to clear me below a minimum dictated by an approach chart?

Are you sure the controller didn't say "maintain *at or above* 2100..."?

The controller probably had no clue about the altitudes on the approach
plate, but did know the MVA in that area, and so included it in the
clearance.

http://tinyurl.com/jul8f

Is a ASR in order or did I mess up somewhere?

No to both.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM