Old December 20th 04, 08:06 PM
Dave S

Spockstuto wrote:
Your tax dollars at work

(SNIP)

Now that I think about it, maybe were
better off with our security agents strip-searching each passenger
rather than actually trying to use their heads to make an individual
judgment.

Unfortunately, "effective" is also known as "racial profiling". If they
singled out the following for close scruitiny, the legal system in our
country would not permit it:

Young adult and middle age adult non-resident arab appearing men with
Arabic surnames.

This is the profile of the group that committed the 9/11 atrocities and
is the target population for recruiting by terrorist causes.

I've been selected several times for "random" screening. Once was
immediately post 9/11 when they were using line guys to bolster the gate
staff. I made eye contact as he walked the line. Tag.. You're it.

The other times were the result of same day, one way, cash tickets (air
ambulance crew riding commercial home after repositioning). I was
wearing my uniform and had my Part 135 operation's ID badge on. I also
was the only one out of my crew who was thanked by the screeners for not
giving them a hard time.

I'm not defending the TSA. However, the same legal system that we look
towards for "fair" treatment also looks dimly on some of our most
effective methods for ensuring security.

Dave