Old February 6th 15, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default iGlide

On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 8:49:36 AM UTC-8, Greg Delp wrote:
What US tasking procedures aren't supported by iGlide? I'm considering buying one or the other as XCSoar is ending their windows CE support.

I am not much of a racer, maybe John Carlyle will step in here with more information.

The tasks supported by iGlide are Free, Speed (AT), Speed AAT and Distance AAT.

Free task is like touring and you are allowed to move and add waypoints during the task, these are cylinders only and all the same.

Speed allows all the normal types of turn point characteristics but will not allow you to add or subtract them from the task. You can add points for weather or terrain management, but these do not have turnpoint characteristics - they are simple points.

Speed AAT is an AAT with a minimum time, Distance AAT is an AAT with a maximum time. Again these will not allow you to add or subtract waypoints, though you can move the waypoint within the cylinders at will (and all the appropriate calculations are done). Again you can add waypoints to bend your course but these have no characteristics like cylinder radius etc. and are not treated as an assigned area.

Missing is the ability to add AAT turnpoints on the fly without exiting the task, editing it, then restarting it and advancing up to where you are. Or at least I don't know how to do that.

It has automatic optimization for FAI and OLC tasks.

I believe Air/Butterfly said they were intending to add US rules tasks over the winter but I haven't seen them yet.

John?