Thread: iGlide
View Single Post
Old February 6th 15, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle
external usenet poster

Default iGlide

Jon touched on most of the iGlide task features. Butterfly has said they will be putting US Rules into iGlide, but they haven't done so yet. This will be the ability to define and fly MAT tasks, as well as the ability to move the actual turn point within the 1 mile circle in an AT to get more accurate statistics.

In addition to what Jon described for the Speed (AT), Speed AAT and Distance AAT tasks, they also permit multiple types of turn points, including Start Line, Finish Line, Start Cylinder, Finish Cylinder, Cylinder, Sector and Keyhole (a cylinder and sector combination). You can change many properties of a turn point (size, bisector angle, included angle), as well as define a minimum altitude, a maximum altitude, and a maximum speed for each turn point. You can drag turn points to different spots in the task list, delete turn points, add new turn points, or even invert a whole route.

When you make a start a window pops up for a few seconds with your start time. If you then go back into the start area and leave once more, iGlide treats that as a new start. Unfortunately there is no timer to help you stay below the start altitude for a set time if you reenter the start area.

As Jon said, there is no way to add or delete turn points once the task is activated. You can exit the task, edit it, and then restart it, but you'll lose all your flight statistics and unless you are in the start gate you won't get another start, either.

The list of in-flight statistics you can get is very long, and should satisfy any racer. Side views of the airspace can be seen along with the terrain along your present flight path (or route), as well as a barogram of your flight. You can add, delete and shuffle statistics and views as you wish, and place them at either the top of the screen or the bottom of the screen as you desire.

Hope this helps.

-John, Q3

On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 10:04:52 PM UTC-5, jfitch wrote:
On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 8:49:36 AM UTC-8, Greg Delp wrote:
What US tasking procedures aren't supported by iGlide? I'm considering buying one or the other as XCSoar is ending their windows CE support.

I am not much of a racer, maybe John Carlyle will step in here with more information.

The tasks supported by iGlide are Free, Speed (AT), Speed AAT and Distance AAT.

Free task is like touring and you are allowed to move and add waypoints during the task, these are cylinders only and all the same.

Speed allows all the normal types of turn point characteristics but will not allow you to add or subtract them from the task. You can add points for weather or terrain management, but these do not have turnpoint characteristics - they are simple points.

Speed AAT is an AAT with a minimum time, Distance AAT is an AAT with a maximum time. Again these will not allow you to add or subtract waypoints, though you can move the waypoint within the cylinders at will (and all the appropriate calculations are done). Again you can add waypoints to bend your course but these have no characteristics like cylinder radius etc. and are not treated as an assigned area.

Missing is the ability to add AAT turnpoints on the fly without exiting the task, editing it, then restarting it and advancing up to where you are. Or at least I don't know how to do that.

It has automatic optimization for FAI and OLC tasks.

I believe Air/Butterfly said they were intending to add US rules tasks over the winter but I haven't seen them yet.

John?