Old July 9th 05, 09:01 PM
Keith W

"Anton" wrote in message ...
First of all, sorry for crosspost, but I need very good and adequate
answer.
This is the first time I write on these newsgroups, sorry on my bad
english.Because in croatian Internet web pages or gruops has nothing on
this
issue, I hope that you will help me!
I'm a fan of machines, first of all piston engines, but last couple of
months I've been interested in something more exotic - gas turbine
engines!
I have found on Internet many webpages with home made built gas trubine
engines, but all these are small, and inefficent in matter of, that you
can't use them even for gokart ( OK, some you can ).
So I came on a crazy idea, could it be posibble to make a gas turbine
engine, from a locomotive turbo?

Yes, its been done with the turbo's for road vehicles

http://www.channel4.com/science/micr...ry_team02.html

So, if I have can do this, could it be
posibble to put it in a car... ( I don't know why could not, I have whole
idea in my head, but only problem is gas turbine, could it work as I'm
planning )?What amount of power could that size turbo produce?Estimated?
Pictures of turbo that I'm talking about:

http://www.zeljeznice.net/turbo.jpg

Sure BUT it would be a very complex build as you'd need to build a
compressor stage and burner cans and then couple the
high revving turbine to the transmission.

This turbocharger is from this locomotive:

http://www.zeljeznice.net/slike/loko...2/Dsc04232.jpg

You can see also pictures of other croatian diesel locomotives on this
page:

http://www.zeljeznice.net/lokomotive/diesel/indexd.htm

Click on links too see pictures, and if you don't see pictures when you
enter page, just click "Galerija" under image.

Croatian railways have GM EMD locomotives 2043, 2044, 2061, 2062 and 2063
series, from which 2044 and 2063 have turbochargers.Could that turbo's be
used for this kind of project?

Given enough time and money you can build anything and gas turbine cars
have been built. The real question is why ?

Such a vehicle is likely to be unreliable and extremely inefficient in
using fuel and probably could not be certified for road use.
A better approach may be a hybrid using a small gas turbine running
at constant speed to charge a battery for an electrically driven
vehicle.

Keith