Old July 13th 03, 10:07 PM
Marc Reeve

Keith Willshaw wrote:
"Jim Atkins" wrote in message
et...
Yes, it reduces the number of flying examples. But in a museum, at least
you have it to look at and photograph, instead of a smoking heap. These
planes are close to 60 years old, and the real things will never come
back. There is a time when they are too valuable to risk. I love the old
birds too, but we have to make a choice. I'd rather my grandchildren get
to see one in the flesh, instead of showing them a picture and telling
them what a tragedy the crash was.

But there are examples in museums.

The aircraft was NOT one of a kind.

As someone else pointed out, it wasn't even one of the kind it was
claimed to be, being a Spanish-build CASA 211. As I recall it was of
postwar construction and powered by (semi-ironically) Merlins.

It was nice to have a "He-111" flying around to airshows, and it is sad
that the owner/pilot and passenger were killed in the crash.

But as someone said, it was a privately owned aircraft and the owner was
doing what he loved when the crash occurred.

-Marc

--
Marc Reeve
actual email address after removal of 4s & spaces is