Old February 12th 17, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Turnpoint placement to support safer Tasking

On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 10:49:58 AM UTC-5, Steve Koerner wrote:
I wish not to take away from the original poster's point about adding turnpoints to the database to facilitate wider turning angles. That is a very good point. I urge that idea to be followed as well. This past year, I complained to a CD about a task call with acute angles. They are dangerous.

Touching the perimeter might be better in some cases but requires a rule change to be most effective - and not necessarily my goal. [Or more accurately there is nothing to stop Sean or anyone else from touching the perimeter and leaving now.]
Even still that is not a full fix and would not be practical for larger TATs.
In the meantime I think additional turnpoints is relatively easy.

I would like to hear more feedback on if others agree this would help, how best to implement it, and any other changes to turnpoint files or tasking that would be better.

Thank you Steve for a valiant attempt to keep this thread on topic.

Chris