Old October 30th 04, 05:38 PM
Jim Carriere

B4RT wrote:
I dont mean to be preachie, but you've got to be carefull when going
straight over
the top of a tower, especially on lower viz days. Sometimes the lights are
out of service
and you cant see the actual top. BTW: never trust the charted tower
heights, they are
frequently very wrong. ( I reported one to NOAA that was about 800 ft taller
than
what the chart said, and its still not fixed two years later.)

No kidding about lights not working... pull up notams for pretty much
any airport, and you get one or several "Tower 4.5 SW 419 AGL lights
OTS" (or along those lines).

Some folk wisdom about towers, once told to me- if you picture the
tower falling over as you fly past it, and you are far enough away
that it will miss, then you are probably safe from the guy wires.
Note use of "probably." Best bet is watch out and be careful.

There is a big (1300') tower in our instrument practice area where I
work. During the day I keep track of it with one eye and often check
the altimeter with the other. At night I keep a bit farther away to
be sure. The students tend to do a decent job holding altitude
(under the "hood") after I mention that tower